Friday, May 18, 2012

Confessions of a Fashionista: International Diva


From Daily Mail:


Confessions of a fashionista: Working for a celebrity isn't all a free ride.


    My make-up artist has been moaning about the international diva popstar she works for. The problem with this singer and part time actress, is she has no understanding of real life. 
    International Diva believes her own hype. Artists undertake a Faustian pact when they work for a celebrity. Being a member of a pop star's glamour squad means you earn a lot of money, but you're expected to be more than just a worker who clocks off at 5pm. 
    Celebrities are used to being adored. In order to survive you must pretend to be the celebrity's adoring friend, because employees are sacked by volatile egomaniac celebs, adoring friends are not. 

    The Champagne lifestyle ain't all it's cracked up to be

    'I can't do it anymore. She's driving me insane!' My make-up artist hisses into her mobile from the concert venue toilets.

    ‘I'm sure it's not that bad. What's she done now?’

    Please don't quit!  The money you make from International Diva pays your mortgage...and the commission pays a hefty chunk of mine.

    'She invited me to a party, I didn't want to go, but you know what it's like. I suspected she wanted me to do her make-up before we went.'

      Ah the freebie - what all popstars expect.  Free clothes, bags, make up, and now free make-up artists to prepare them for a party.

      'She instructed me to pick her up in my taxi on the way. Never mind that I was going to get the tube.'

      International Diva is so used to other people organising her transport I often wonder if she'd know how to book a cab.

      'I'm in this taxi outside her place, I call her up on her mobile and tell her I'm waiting downstairs, and do you know what she says?'

      No, what? I'm interested now, annoyingly.

      'She says, "Wait there, I'm just getting in the shower." After she told me what time to pick her up!  I sat there for 45 minutes, with the meter running the whole time, before she finally deigns to get in the car. 

      When we got to the wretched party she just flounced out and posed for the photographers, leaving me to pay the fare

      When we got to the wretched party she just flounced out and posed for the photographers, leaving me to pay the fare. It was nearly two hundred quid. I haven't got that kind of money. I had to pay on my credit card.'

      I can't believe she didn't offer to pay.

      'She's like the queen, she never carries cash.'

      Too used to getting things for free.

      'Are you going to hand your notice in?

      Please don't.

      She sighs. 'I can't quit. I need the money to pay off my credit card bill now.'

      Celebrity catch-22.


      No comments:

      Post a Comment