Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Prada Short Film," A Therapy", Directed by Roman Polanski Debuts at Canne


Prada has unveiled it's latest short film at Cannes.
Written and directed by Oscar winner Roman Polanski, the three-minute long feature stars Helena Bonham Carter and Ben Kingsley garbed in the luxury label.
The Italian fashion house hopes it will build on the success of previous cinematography projects.

Scroll down to watch film
Helena Bonham Carter, wearing orange and purple Prada, visits her psychiatrist, played by Kingsley

Screened as part of the Cannes Classic selection, 'A Therapy' depicts Bonham Carter as a troubled rich girl visiting her silent psychoanalyst, played by Kingsley.

    Draped in pearls, she reclines on a velvet chaise longue and starts recalling, in length, a bad dream: 'Last time you reminded me that if I had a dream I should tell you about it. And last night I did have a dream, a nightmare really.
    'I was alone in a vast arena and on the stage was a rock band and I couldn’t hear the music, total silence, I was consumed by panic, what does it mean? Does it symbolizse my loneliness?'

    But as she continues to dwell on her problems, Kingsley gets increasingly distracted by her purple fur coat hanging near the door of his study.

    Kingsley eyes up his patient's luxurious coat as she enters his study

    'I was alone in a vast arena and on the stage was a rock band and I couldn't hear the music, total silence, I was consumed by panic,' says Bonham Carter who plays a troubled rich girl in the film

    He walks over and tries it on and despite its poor fit, admires its beauty in the mirror. The finishing clip features a shot of him with the grey fur pressed against his face and a caption reading 'Prada suites everyone.'

    Talking about the project Polanski states: 'The chance to dwell on what the fashion world represents nowadays and the fact that it is accompanied by so many stereotypes is fascinating and at the same time a bit upsetting, but you definitely cannot ignore it.
    'When I was asked to shoot a short movie for Prada, I did not think that could really be myself, but the reality is that in the total freedom I was given, I had the opportunity to reunite my favourite group of people on set and just have fun.'

    A Prada spokesperson said that branding had been kept to a minimum, adding: 'We wanted to keep it light and funny, we see this as a film, not an advertisement.'

    Shot in Paris a few months ago, the Cannes Film Festival became interested after Polanski sent it to the festival director. It's now available on the brand's website.  

    Prada was founded by Mario Prada in 1913 as a leather goods business. In 1978 it came under the helm of his granddaughter Miuccia Prada, who transformed it into one of the world's most respected clothing and luxury goods labels.
    Despite its poor fit, Kingsley admires the soft feel of the fur Prada jacket

    'We wanted to keep it light and funny, we see this as a film, not an advertisement,' said a Prada spokesperson




    No comments:

    Post a Comment